CAMBRIDGESHIRE PARISH JOTTINGS Forum Index CAMBRIDGESHIRE PARISH JOTTINGS
A community message board for the towns & parishes in Cambridgeshire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Jan 2018, 07:21
All times are UTC + 1 (DST in action)
 Forum index » CAMBRIDGESHIRE PLACES » HUNTINGDONSHIRE
Fenstanton: Roundabouts
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Fenstanton resident

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2004, 12:53    Post subject:  Fenstanton: Roundabouts  

Does anyone else experience problems at the roundabouts each end of the village or am I the only invisible person? Retuirning to the village from the Cambrige end between 8 and 8.30 am at least twice a week I experience drivers who have no intention of stopping to give way to me turning right into Headlands and on numerous occasions my car has almost been hit. The last occurrence was so close I do not know how an accident did not happen. I have experience verbal and gesticulative abuse from drivers using the village from St Ives to the A14; if they see anyone indicating to turn right they put their foot down and will not give way. At this time of the day the school children are waiting for buses and should an accident happen several of them could be badly injured.

At the other end of the village when turning right from Chequer Street I find that some drivers travelling from the High Street !
towards St Ives "just don't see you" - these ignorant people also have no intention of giving way. I approach these roundabouts with caution presuming I might have to slam my brakes on. Most drivers are considerate but these few who obviously are late will, before much longer, cause a serious accident.
Another Local

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2005, 18:28    Post subject: Roundabouts  

I too share your concerns.

The Law is very clear - traffic coming from the RIGHT has priority, but ONLY where a vehicle is "on the roundabout".

"On the roundabout" means that the leading wheels have crossed OVER the access threshold, which is clearly marked with a white line. Unless these persons are on the roundabout, they have no rights whatsoever and it is only a matter of time until there is a serious incident.
(Note I refrain from using the word "accident"!)

Also I have noticed the frequent increase in speed as people approach the roundabouts, which is also contrary to good driving practice for one must be able to brake safely, if required.

These people, especially those using our High Street as a short-cut from the St Ives area in the mornings and from Cambridge in the evening MUST adhere to the Law. !

These are roundabouts and NOT cross roads!
Fenstanton Resident

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb 2005, 11:45    Post subject: ROUNDABOUTS  

Thank you Local for taking the time to reply. I totally agree with your comment about some drivers their speed upon approaching the roundabout. At the time I return to the village in the morning the school children are congregated on the pavement waiting for the bus. WHEN, and I mean WHEN one of these speeding rat runners does hit a car turning into Headlands, thus probably shoving it sideways, how many children will be injured? We seem to have a lack of signs on on the approach from the High Street towards the A14.

My humble view, for what it is worth, is that the village was better off without all this unsightly "traffic calming". It does very little to calm the traffic as the culprits have no respect for the damage they do to their cars which are probably company lease vehicles anyway by driving at speed over all the humps.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » CAMBRIDGESHIRE PLACES » HUNTINGDONSHIRE
Jump to: