CAMBRIDGESHIRE PARISH JOTTINGS Forum Index CAMBRIDGESHIRE PARISH JOTTINGS
A community message board for the towns & parishes in Cambridgeshire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Jan 2018, 07:24
All times are UTC + 1 (DST in action)
 Forum index » CAMBRIDGESHIRE PLACES » HUNTINGDONSHIRE
Fenstanton District Councillor candidates
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Duty Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2010, 17:35    Post subject:  Fenstanton District Councillor candidates
Subject description: Election date 25th February 2010

With the election for District Councillor just a few days away - has anyone got any questions for the candidates?
BillyBob6

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2010, 12:58    Post subject: Will the Labour candidate bother to appear in the village?  

Will the Labour candidate bother to appear in the village?

Apparently she relies on her agent to write letters to the paper for her, so I suppose he will turn up in the village on her behalf.

This really is taking the concept of 'New' Labour too far. Having turned their collective backs on the working men and women who funded them and placed them in a position of power - now she seems to have a servant to do all the work for her!

Still, I guess it is a lost cause nationally and Fenstanton is no different.
snrednek

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb 2010, 00:56    Post subject: Some Questions you should ask candidates  

Hi, I'm not from Fenstanton. I run a political website over in St. Neots which looks at decisions in St. Neots, Huntingdonshire and by our MP Jonathan Djanogly.

The by-election in Fenstanton is important. The 2007 Election was won by the Conservative by 12 votes. So this is a Conservative/Liberal Democrat marginal. To make any headway the Liberal Democrats need to achieve a very large majority. Just winning by a few votes won't much of difference.

As the Conservatives control Huntingdonshire I would be asking the Conservative candidate the following questions:

The HDC leadership 6 million they predict to cut from the budget over 5 years. What services are you going to cut?

Do you agree with spending 16 million of non replaceable reserves on propping up the budget deficit?

Having just spent 573,000 on refurbishing the public toilets why is HDC closing most of them?

What do you feel about Djanogly and his expenses claims?

I would ask the Liberal Democrats the following questions:

The budget deficit is predicted to be 6 million and the Conservatives are spending 16 million of reserves propping up the deficit budget. What would the Liberal Democrats going to do?

Martin Land (Liberal Democrat PPC) said "the Tories are a coalition of homophobes and racists". Why are you trying to lose the general election?

I would ask the Labour candidate:

Are you Angela Richards? If not where is she?
alismith

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb 2010, 10:26    Post subject:  

They all make me wonder why they are doing it. Is it really for our community or just for them?

Last time the Labour candidate never seemed to bother and the Tory winner seemed to only last a short while. I suspect his constant moaning in the local press didn't do him or his party any favours. I pity the current Tory candidate, David O'Neill for he is going to have to convince us he is the man for the job. Still he does have a background of experience on St Ives town council, which must be a good thing. Quite a few people in St Ives speak well of him.

The Liberal bloke Colin Saunderson seems a strange choice, for he is on St Ives town council so how can he find time for representing us? It might be academic because their website says he is up before the Ethics Panel at HDC for recent misconduct in public office, so he might get suspended or even fired. If he does get suspended what use is he to us?
suemillner

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 18:00    Post subject:  

Seems there is more to it. Word is there is now a second charge of misrepresenting public office or something like at a planning meeting.

Also the Liberals called for the election after Dakers resigned. Because of this HDC are having to hold a separate election next week. If they had waited until May it would be done at the same time as the main election. More public money wasted.

All very unsavoury for my primitive taste - don't think I'll be voting for Liberals any more for some time. Also I really don't think we need amateurs playing at politics at this local level. It is the person who matters and hopefully we will get someone who is untarnished and is doing it for the right reasons.
colskip

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2010, 12:02    Post subject:  

have you got a link to the allegations about Colin Saunderson - I've been on the Huntingdon and St Ives websites and can't find anything about him other than he attends the meetings regularly!
snrednek

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 09:29    Post subject: Liberal Democrats win  

Liberal Democrats win by-election. Full results later.
snrednek

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2010, 10:39    Post subject: Result  

Result: LibDem 391 Con 337 Lab 37

More at:

http://snrednek.blogspot.com/2010/02/fenstanton-by-election-result-25th.html
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » CAMBRIDGESHIRE PLACES » HUNTINGDONSHIRE
Jump to: